Wednesday, July 23, 2008

#60 - Zel



Book No: 60
Title: Zel
Author: Donna Jo Napoli
Genre: Fairy Tales
Published: 1996
Obtained: 2008/Amazon
Completed: 7/18/08
No. of Pages: 227
Rating: 3.5/5*****

Zel is a retelling of the Rapunzel fairy tale. In this one Zel is actually placed in the tower by her mother, after she meets a young man in the market one day. Zel’s mother is a witch, who loves Zel more than anything, and wants to keep Zel with her always and cannot bear the thought of sharing her with anyone.

I liked a lot of the touches in this book, especially the one that dealt with how Rapunzel dealt with being locked up alone in a tower with no company. I did find the storyline of the mother more than a little creepy; I guess I couldn’t understand any mother doing such a terrible thing to her child. Overall it was a interesting take on a classic tale.

1 comment:

Sharyla said...

Hi there! I just started my own blog and was passing through and noticed that you did a review on Zel I have this on my alphabet challenge (that I've not been following very well) Anyway, I just thought I'd say hello.

I love your blog.