Saturday, July 5, 2008

#51- Bright Lights, Big Ass



Book No: 51
Title: Bright Lights, Big Ass
Author: Jen Lancaster
Genre: Memoir
Published: 2007
Obtained: 2008/Kindle
Completed: 6/30/08
No. of Pages: 400
Rating: 3.5/5*****

She’s bbaacckkk! Jen Lancaster, of Bitter is the New Black fame, continues her totally irreverent view of the world in Bright Lights, Big Ass. Picking up pretty much where Bitter ended, Jen continues skewering anyone she finds pretentious, and gives you more of her wry and frequently convoluted take on the world. She and Fletch are slowly getting back on their feet after their financial meltdown and are still living in the city, which Jen make sure you know is nothing like Sex in the City. After receiving her advance to write what would become BITNB, Jen is still working temp jobs so she can write, still spying on her neighbors and still shopping-although her holy trio of stores is no longer Bloomies, Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus; it’s now Target, Trader Joe’s and Ikea. Her writing can sometimes seem way over the top, but her acute observations make you laugh in spite of yourself. Some of the best ‘beach reading’ I’ve done in a while. (Well since last week when I finished Bitter is the New Black). Also her wonderfully delicious and long subtitles really helped rack up the points for the Alphabet Soup Challenge!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

You just made my day! She's got a new one out now called Such a Pretty Fat that I ran across in the bookstore the other day. But I was over my budget so didn't pick it up, and didn't write it down and for the life of me couldn't remember her name until I read your post. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Ladyslott said...

Glad I could help you!

S. Krishna said...

I loved these books! I still haven't read the third, but hopefully I'll get to it soon...