Thursday, July 17, 2008

#58 - Grimm's Fairy Tales


Book No: 58
Title: Grimm’s Fairy Tales
Author: The Brothers Grimm
Genre: Fairy Tales
Published: unknown
Obtained: 2008/Kindle
Completed: 7/14/08
No. of Pages: 560
Rating: 3/5*****

I read this as part of the Fairy Tale Tag challenge at Play Book Tag. What I didn’t know is that the Brothers Grimm didn’t actually write all these fairy tales- 64 of them- but actually collected them as a way of saving the oral traditional tales told throughout centuries. That would explain why many of the stories seem a little repetitious; they are often the same basic story told in different ways. While I enjoyed reading some of my childhood favorites, I was astonished at how violent some of these stories are. Disney may get bashed for sanitizing stories, but to be honest I would feel a little queasy reading some of these unvarnished stories to young children. It took me 2 weeks to get through all the stories, and many of them were a bit silly I did overall enjoy the experience of revisiting some old favorites.

1 comment:

samantha.1020 said...

Thanks for all of the reviews! I just added a bunch to my TBR list :)