Saturday, January 26, 2008

#4 - All the Numbers



Book No: 4
Title: All the Numbers
Author: Judy Larsen
Genre: Fiction
No. of Pages: 269
Published: 2006
Obtained: 2007/Paperbackswap
Completed: 1/24/08
No. of Pages: 269
Rating: 4/5*****

Ellen Banks is a high school teacher who is spending the last weekend in summer, before the start of the school year, with her two sons at a friend’s lake house. This is a ritual they have followed for many years. Unfortunately what starts out as a lazy summer day ends in tragedy with Ellen’s son James being hit by a jet skier and suffering a catastrophic brain injury. So begins Ellen’s journey into the unthinkable, the loss of a child.

Larsen expertly weaves a tale of unbearable tragedy. Step by step we walk with Ellen, as she transfers her eleven year old son to the hospital, through the air lift to another medical center, surgery and the heart breaking decision to take James off life support. We are one with Ellen as she tries to comprehend what has happened to her, as she tries to be strong for her remaining child, Daniel, himself only thirteen. We understand her anguish as she decides to donate James’ organs, although the deed offers her no solace. We watch as she collapses, crawls into bed, weeps and goes through the motions. All the while Ellen’s sole objective is to get justice for James by bringing the boy who caused his death to trial for manslaughter.

This is what my mom used to call a ‘three hankie tear jerker’. I cried so much at some points I had to put the book down. Although I had some minor problems with the book, overall it was engrossing, heart breaking and ultimately uplifting. Knowing someone who lost her teen age son to a similar accident it was a slice of real life for me, and a book I’ll not soon forget.

3 comments:

Les said...

I've had this book for over a year now. I want to read it and then I don't. I'm sure it will be very painful, but at the same time, perhaps it will validate my own feelings. Just need to wait for the right time, I suppose.

Ladyslott said...

Les;

I think you should probably wait a bit. I know the trial is coming up soon, so I don't think you need this book now. I think it would validate a lot of your feelings but it was hard enough for me to read, imagining the loss of a child, I don't know if I could get through it having endured that loss. Wait until it is the right time, if there ever is one.

Les said...

Thanks for this comment, Linda. You know my story (and yes, the trial is in less than 3 months - at least at this point - you just never know), so I trust your take on this. I'll hold off... maybe forever.