Sunday, January 6, 2008

Book #1 of 2008 - The Missing


I actually finished reading this a few days ago for Shelfari's Suspense & Thrillers group. This was the January read, and it appears most people enjoyed the book which was a relief for me since I recommended it. It had been on my TBR mountain for a while and I saw this as a good opportunity to try and clear out another book.

Book No: 1
Title: The Missing
Author: Chris Mooney
Genre: Thriller
Published: 2007
Obtained: 2007/Paperbackswap
Completed: 1/1/07
Rating: 3.5/5*****

This is a fast paced thriller, with many interesting characters. The major problem with the book is it is a theme that has been done before (Kiss the Girls by Patterson is one that comes straight to mind). Still and all with its short chapters, twists and turns and super creepy villain it is a well done serial killer thriller. I did figure out some of the plot twists but because I cared for the main character that wasn’t a problem at all. The ending doesn’t quite tie everything up into a neat little bow, and I liked that also!

While hanging out in the woods near their home, three teenage girls witness a murder. In their haste to escape a backpack is left behind, and soon the killer is on the trail of the witnesses, determined to leave none of them alive. Only one of the girls escapes his wrath, and we flash forward twenty years later, where Darby McCormack is now a CSI for the Boston PD. While investigating a missing girl case Darby finds a woman hiding beneath the porch of the victim's house. Soon it becomes clear to Darby that this case is leading her back to her own past encounter with a murderer.

Despite some predictable plot lines the character of Darby was so well written and I was so invested in her that I had to continue on until the end to see if she gets the bad guy. I would love to see another book featuring the intrepid Darby McCormick, and her partner Coop, I think there may be a romance in there, though that wouldn’t be necessary for me to enjoy another outing with Mr. Mooney.

No comments: