Wednesday, September 24, 2008

#68 - Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim



Book No: 68
Title: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
Author: David Sedaris
Genre: Humor/Essays
Published: 2004
Obtained: 2008/Kindle
Completed: 8/12/08
No. of Pages: 272
Rating: 3.5/5*****

David Sedaris’ take on life is just a little left of center. He is droll and entertaining in this collection of stories that mostly focus on his family’s loony adventures and skewed sense of the world. I’m really glad he is not my brother because the man has no mercy in his depictions of his sisters, brother and parents. No one escape’s unscathed, not his boyfriend Hugh or their eighty year old neighbor or David himself. Some of the stories are laugh out loud funny, others are more than a little gross, but like a bad accident you can’t help but look (or read). I have to say that my first book by Sedaris was When You are Engulfed in Flames, and it was an audio. As much as I enjoyed reading this book, I realize that something is lost when reading this as opposed to listening, and it is Sedaris’ inflections and pauses and dry tone that make him such a great storyteller. So I liked it a lot- but would have loved to listen to it.

No comments: