Tuesday, June 17, 2008

#36 - The Secret History of the Pink Carnation


Book No: 36
Title: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Author: Lauren Willig
Genre: Historical Fiction
Published: 2005
Obtained: 2005/Kindle
Completed: 5/12/08
No. of Pages: 464
Rating: 0/5*****

Quite possibly one of the worst books I have ever read. I think the author may have been going for a satire of the Scarlet Pimpernel story, but this book is dreadful. Clichéd characters, people who speak and act like 21st century characters in a 19th century setting. Laughable dialogue, a contrived storyline, from start to finish there is nothing to recommend the book. I thought I was getting a good historical fiction, what I got was a bad romance book and most unbelievable of all to me is that this appears to be the first of a series. With all the wonderful writers out there, the fact that this book was even published is astounding.

No comments: