Thursday, June 5, 2008

#27 - A Wicked Snow


Book No:27
Title: A Wicked Snow
Author: Gregg Olson
Genre: Suspense
Published: 2007
Obtained: 2008/Kindle
Completed: 4/20/08
No. of Pages: 400
Rating: 4/5*****

Hannah Griffin is a Crime Scene Investigator in a small town in California. She is also a wife and mother, but very few people know that she is the daughter of one of the most infamous murderers in Oregon, where Hannah lived as a child. Relocating and rebuilding her life, Hannah has tried to forget the horrors of her childhood, and has done a great job, until a mysterious package is sent to her and the past comes roaring back when it appears that Hannah’s mother, long thought dead, may still be alive.

I really enjoyed this book, very tautly written and well plotted, although I have to say that the ‘present day cop-survivor of a childhood tragedy’ device is getting a little cliché. In spite of that small complaint I liked the pacing and the characters in the book, even if Hannah could get tiresome, trying to look at things from her point of view she was lucky to survive and make an almost normal life.

I did not know that the author has written true crime books prior to this, but his background comes through with his attention to detail and understanding how wicked people can be. A first rate thriller and a new author for me. I’m looking forward to getting A Cold Dark Place, the ‘teaser’ chapter at the end of this book was really tantalizing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just got in "A Cold Dark Place"! I loved this book and was amazed at how I couldn't put it down.