Monday, March 3, 2008

#14 - Born Standing Up



Book No: 14
Title: Born Standing Up; A Comic’s Life
Author: Steve Martin
Genre: Memoir
Published: 2007
Obtained: 2008/Kindle
Completed: 2/24/08
No. of Pages: 224
Rating: 4/5*****

I love Steve Martin. I loved him on SNL, when he did stand up and in the movies. I have never read any of his books, but I think I will now. I really enjoyed this memoir of Martin’s life as a youngster working in Disneyland, where he got his start in show business. Alternately sweet and funny the chronicle of Martin’s years of creating and honing his craft as a comedian and his decision to walk away from it all was a warm and engaging story. Martin is known to be intensely private, but here he lets us all in, just a little, but enough to appreciate how much work went into becoming that ‘Wild and Crazy Guy”. A memoir that wasn’t self pitying but instead is a compelling narrative of a less than happy childhood that led to one of the world’s funniest and ground breaking comedians alive today.

No comments: