Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Graveyard Book

Book No: 25
Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
Completed: 5/31/09
No. of Pages: N/A
Rating: 5/5*****

Neil Gaiman is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. I recently read Coraline, my first Gaiman, and I loved it. Now I have completed the Graveyard Book and thought it was brilliant!

Although this book is fantasy and filled with ghosts, ghouls witches, hellhounds and more it is really a story of a boy trying to find his way in the world. Nobody “Bod” Owens is orphaned after his family is murdered and he somehow escapes the killer and wanders into the graveyard adjoining his home. Taken in by the ghosts residing in there he is given the freedom of the graveyard and is raised by his parents the Owens’ and a guardian Silas, who provides for him because he can leave the graveyard and wander the world as a human; although never stated he is probably a vampire. Bod must remain in the graveyard because it is only here he can be protected by the killer who is still after him, for reasons that are not made known until late in the story.

The tale is told in a series of vignettes that most children can relate to – learning to spell and read, making friends, going to school, a first love and unexpected loss. It is all told in suspenseful, funny, and touching way with a good amount of horror but also a lot of love, Bod for his ‘family’ and guardian and they for him. The ending was so touching and bittersweet I actually cried. That’s a rare book that can touch me so much.

I listened to the audio version, which was read by the author himself. He brings so much to the storytelling and has one of the best (and sexiest) voices ever. I am going to pick up the hardcover version, but this audio is certainly one than can be listened to again and again. Shortly after I finished the book it was announced that it had won Audible of the Year and I can say it was very well deserved. Well done Mr. Gaiman.

2 comments:

AFlyOnTheWall said...

If you are on Twitter - you should follow Neil Gaiman - he is personable and friendly! He is @neilhimself !

I read the book and loved it but I think that the audio version is really wonderful!!!!

Robyn Hawk

Ladyslott said...

I've been following Neil for a while now. I'm Ladyslott there too. This was the audio book that I reviewed.