Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Help

Book No: 18
Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Genre: Fiction
Completed: 4/27/09
No. of Pages: 464
Rating: 5/5*****

From the first paragraph of this book I was captivated by the story of “The Help”. Set during the very early years of the civil rights movement of the 1960’s this is the story of Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan a privileged young white woman and her slow awakening to the injustices heaped upon the black people of her community. When she decides to write about the maids of her town she finds two allies in Aibileen and Minnie, maids who are good enough to raise and care for the white children of their employers, but are made to use their own outdoor bathrooms. The book is told in alternating chapters of the differing viewpoints of these three women.

When reading books set in this time frame the vernacular of the blacks of that time period can often come off as almost comical if not done well, but Ms. Stockett manages to keep the tone and cadence just right. The development of Skeeter from a naïve and sometimes insensitive girl into a morally responsible and aware woman of the sixties was also nicely depicted. The description of the first time Skeeter hears a song by Bob Dylan is priceless; I identified with her reaction having felt much the same when I first heard Dylan.

The stories of Aibileen and Minnie, two women who deal with prejudice and discrimination every day, but still hold their heads high really tugged at my heart, even though they both dealt with things in very different ways. I really came to care for these women and their struggles. I was so sorry when I came to the last page of this book; I wanted it to go on so I could spend more time with all of “The Help”.

This is Ms. Stockett’s debut novel and I am already anxiously awaiting her next book, I hope it won’t be too long.

No comments: